Sunday, March 02, 2008

A Day Volunteering at the Hospital

I want to share what God has been doing here lately! I go to the hospital to volunteer on Sunday afternoons now that I am back at work. I usually leave church and go to the hospital for about 4 hours then come home and eat lunch/dinner and go back to church.

Two weeks ago I ran into a couple that has been to church a few times and their little boy was very sick with a flu bug. I talked with them and prayed and left to visit others. That night at church the grandmother of the little boy came and thanked me for spending time with the family. She said they were amazed that after I left the little fellow settled down and was feeling better! I told her prayer still works!

I left the Emergency Room area and went up to the Maternity Ward. It was my first time to be there and I don’t think the nurses were used to someone from Pastoral Care coming into their area. So I chatted a little bit and a nurse asked if I wanted to go see the moms and babies. I told her that I really was a little uncomfortable just walking into their rooms so she said that she would go in every room ahead of me. I prayed for several as they requested and I left.

Then I went to the Psych’ Ward and they let me in (and they let me out too!) LOL! I talked with an elderly lady. As I was leaving the head nurse came running down the hall and said there was a family that wanted to talk to me so I went and talked with them for just a couple of minutes. The man just opened up and started telling me how his wife (the patient ) was a great lady, fantastic mom and wife. Then the 14 year old girl just jumped up crying and hugged her mom and said mommy we love you and miss you. I talked for a few more minutes then prayed and before I left I gave them a church business card so they could come visit us.

Last week I went to the Maternity Ward and the same nurse was there and she asked me questions about church and some of our mission’s trips. She knew that I was not a doctor so she asked what I did on the trips. I told her that when we went to the Philippines we baptized over 100. I asked her if she knew about the Holy Ghost and speaking in tongues and she said yes! So I told her that we prayed quite a few through to the Holy Ghost as well. She kept asking questions for an hour it was just awesome!

I walked into the Psych Ward and the head nurse said it was a miracle! I said what was a miracle? She said I don’t know what you said or did but when you left here the mother was completely changed like night and day! So I explained that I talked and what all happened because I knew she needed to know for her reports. I told her that I talked a little then I prayed and God did His part! She said that the lady was so different that they released her on Monday morning! She just kept saying it was a miracle!

Pray that God will continue to open doors in this area of ministry!

8 comments:

iluv2prshim said...

What a great report! Thanks for sharing.

Linda Elms said...

Kevin, this is a wonderful testimony of the power of God and a willing vessel! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Kevin Hopper said...

Ronda & Linda I am amazed at what God does and who I meet every time I go in to volunteer.

We are in the process of planning services to honor those in the community that in invovled in emergency services, doctors and nurses etc.. We will be inviting the staff from the area hospitals as well.

Anonymous said...

Bro. Kevin, I am so glad you are doing a great work for the Lord in these last days. My prayer and desire is that EVERY SINGLE Holy Ghost-filled person will do THEIR part in the kingdom. Much would get done all over the world, if we would. We don't have time to just "live for God" the way we always have. We MUST DO OUR PART! I pray every day for God to help me do my part in the kingdom
Thanks for doing YOUR PART! God bless you and your work!

Kevin Hopper said...

Tena,

Years ago in my studies and preparing for a message I came across a verse that has stuck with me in a big way. James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

It doesn't matter how many Bible Studies I have taught, doors I have knocked on through bus ministry or visitation. It doesn't matter how many people I have reached out to encourage or "guide" along their way. If I am not "working for the kingdom" , to me it is a sin as James recorded.

Anonymous said...

Oooooo...! Thanks for reminding me of this scripture! Very, very powerful! It makes me think, do we REALLY obey ALL of the Bible? Wow! How important it is to hear the preached word as much as possible and to read the word and study it as much as possible. I don't want to miss ONE scripture - I want to obey ALL the word.
Have a great day with Jesus!

Anonymous said...

Your message Wednesday night was awesome. I found myself in a situation last Wednesday that I never planned on happening.

God does give us divine appointments with people that would have only been planned by Him. I found myself at the doctor's office twice last week. I have not been to a doctor for five years.

My nurse commented on the girls and how well behaved they were and how they were dressed like girls. From there we ended up talking about church. She asked where we attended.

I soon found out the she grew up in a Pentecostal church. She now does not attend church but would consider going again. I will be seeing her in the future a few more times over the next couple months. When I see her this week I plan on telling her about our special services for the doctors, nurses, etc. (which you mentioned in one of your blogs).

I have not sat in a Wednesday night service for over two years as I am usually up stairs in children's church. It is amazing to me what I had experienced that same day you taught on that night.

I thought you might like to know that what you taught reached someone's ears and heart:)

Tracy Moore

Kevin Hopper said...

Tracy,

Thanks for your comments! My message on "Order My Steps" has stirred quite a bit of interest in our church.

But your steps were ordered of God as your nurse became interested in your girls . Who says that our dress and actions have no bearing on how people look at us?

The Bible says that we are an epistle known and read of all men! You and your girls always portray Gods' word in a great way!

May God continue to bless you and your family as you walk with Him!